Built and managed Fusion’s Audience Development, Analytics, & Social Media organization. Restructured technology, product, and editorial teams. Grew Fusion’s audience to 10 million+ website unique visitors, 25 million+ monthly video views, and more than 3 million social media followers.
Head of Business Development, Audience Development, & Strategy
Grew audience for venture-backed visual media startup to 40 million monthly unique visitors, 1.5 million Facebook likes, and more than 700,000 email subscribers in its first year of operations while concurrently generating more than $400,000 in revenue. Built business model and created diversified revenue strategy, including lead generation, email advertising, and native advertising.
New York Observer
Acting General Manager, Digital
Transformed digital business for Observer.com and Very Short List, resulting in 280% revenue growth and 90% audience growth in nine months.Restructured sales organization.
Launched digital business, transforming EW.com from print companion site into leading digital entertainment brand reaching more than 11MM monthly unique visitors. Oversaw all business and operational functions and set product vision and content strategy. Steered division through massive organizational change and dramatic market downturn while delivering revenue and traffic growth.
· Grew revenue by 833% from $1.5MM in 2006 to $14MM in 2007. Supervised national advertising sales and sales planning teams. Led bi-annual agency & client roadshow. Devised sales strategy and structured multi-platform programs.
· Generated triple-digit traffic growth on annual marketing budget of less than $100k. Increased monthly unique visitors 235% from 3.3MM to 11.2MM and monthly page views more than 245%.
· Managed divisional P&L and led all budgeting. Delivered cost savings of 38% in 2008 and 20% in 2007 from budget.
· Built organizational infrastructure and established all business practices. Increased staff size from four to twenty-five in two years and managed matrixed team of over fifty total employees.
· Launched video programming, including seven regular series, responsible for driving more than $2MM in revenue to the division. Grew monthly video streams from 200,000 to 1.5MM in eight months.
· Developed acquisition strategy and led evaluation process, including financial analysis and due diligence.
· Set cross-platform content distribution strategy, including web syndication, mobile, YouTube, and VOD. Established partnerships with more than ten partners, including CNN, Yahoo, IMDB, and Huffington Post.
· Oversaw product development, technical production, project management, and web design. Guided dozens of new products from concept to launch, including five blogs, four email newsletters, multiple site redesigns, and new site launches.
Executive Director, Business Development & Online Marketing
Concurrently managed largest and most profitable sources of new subscribers and prepared company for takeover of website management and fiscal responsibility from AOL. Built Time Inc’s first audience development department to focus on website growth.Won two Consumer Marketing Achievement Awards.
· Managed all online subscription acquisition efforts. Increased volume fivefold.
· Launched and managed Time Inc’s first profitable programs with online lead-generation companies which became Time Inc’s largest new source of subscription business in more than five years and generated more than $24MM in revenue.
· Evaluated all new business development opportunities. Developed EW.com business plan and acquisition strategy.
· Instituted all EW.com audience development initiatives, including SEO/SEM, syndication, social media, email, and analytics.
· Developed and marketed EW’s first email newsletter and Time Inc’s first Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft gadgets and Facebook partnership which represented 10% of regular traffic to EW.com.
· Negotiated broad strategic partnerships with TiVo, Hollywood Video, Papa John’s, and Time Warner Cable that included subscriber acquisition, online and print advertising, content syndication, event sponsorships, and online lead generation.
Time Inc. Consumer Marketing
Director, Partnership Development - Entertainment Weekly & Time
Oversaw partnership marketing businesses for Entertainment Weekly and TIME magazines, from deal sourcing through program management. Generated more than 1MM profitable new subscriptions for both publications and for Sports Illustrated.Hired two levels above traditional MBA graduate entry point.
· Increased partnership portfolio tenfold. Negotiated and launched new programs with dozens of partners, including American Express, Fandango, Live Nation, Netflix, Columbia House, DirecTV, Ticketmaster, HBO, and Circuit City.
· Executed programs in eight channels, including retail counters, call centers, movie theaters, online checkout, direct mail, email, inserts, and product bundles, with 40+ different pricing structures, requiring credit card continuous service payment.
· Structured financial terms, including advance earn-outs, commissions, bounties, and barter for business assets. Devised models to project revenue impact, lifetime value, optimal pricing, predict new subscription volume, and analyze performance.
· Managed three full-time employees working on program implementation and account management. Coordinated cross-functional and cross-departmental teams including operations, finance, creative, legal, event planning, and production.
· Developed large-scale training and compliance programs for Time Warner Cable, Screenvision, and Hollywood Video. Created training manuals, led classes, and devised incentive, secret shopper, and call monitoring programs.
Founding Director of travel website and email newsletter business, sold to TripAdvisor in 2007. Led operations as award-winning site grew to multi-million dollar company and became profitable without raising external capital. Launched three departments and moved from team to team, building procedures and staff to handle company growth.
Business Development Director, 2000-2001
· Developed new sources of business to diversify revenue operations. Tripled non-advertising-based revenues.
· Transformed member savings program into company’s primary revenue stream. Negotiated and established partnerships with travel suppliers, including US Airways, priceline.com, Hertz, Alamo, and ORBITZ.
Marketing Director, 1999-2001
· Grew audience to more than 1.5 million email subscribers. Tripled monthly unique website visitors on a year-over-year basis. Decreased customer acquisition cost by over 60% over the course of one year.
· Managed $750,000 annual budget. Consistently brought department in under budget and over growth expectations.
· Instituted massive user profiling effort, traffic analysis, financial models, and return-on-investment analysis.
Product Development Director, 1999-2000
· Developed content strategy, streamlining company focus and transforming website from niche travel information source to travel industry leader. Led multi-functional product development team of eight.
· Coordinated new product launches from concept development to market. Launched three email newsletters and four new sections, generating $500,000 in yearly revenues. Managed freelance writers.
· Spearheaded syndication efforts with eight online publishers, including USATODAY.com, latimes.com, and boston.com.